Saturday 8 March 2008

misanthropy has no place on the internet

As the art-piece for Unit 4 Historical and Contextual studies, this blog features the images I have taken, inspired by the Impressionist art movement of 19th century Paris.

I will display the images I have chosen and give a brief description as to what makes them Impressionist-inspired-art-pieces, in case it isn't clear...
Part of it, as with everything we call art, is context. Impressionism was a reaction to modernism, as it was in that vibrant, changeable and dramatic period which saw France defeated in a brief war; Parisian life thrown upside-down and a new style of government brutally suppressed; and art take a whole new direction.
So, today we are seeing massive changes, hugely radical changes, to communication and social networks - our new ways of understanding the world are through the wwws and blogs and emails and bebos and downloads.
I'm not particularly fond of this, if I'm honest. I like trees and cold, wet winds rushing through heather. I'm fond of rain and ravens, tall grasses and, if I'm honest again, the wet-red gash of fresh roadkill. Noneofthis, noneofthis I can truly understand through the digital world. Nonetheless, I have to embrace this modern world (like I would embrace the old ladies I met as a child - fondly, but fearful of too tight a hold and in the vague hope I'll get given a pound at the end of it) and the blog is one of the means of mass dissemination of ideas (even if the ideas revolve around how delighful young ladies look without their clothes on, or how cute your children are).
Hence this blog, which contains the photographs I have taken for this project, not as I think the Impressionists would (I have no idea whatsoever how Renoir would react artistically to 2008 and I have no interest in contemplating it) but as my reaction to the modern world (the post-modern world?) as I know it, and the new technologies which are making all our lives so much easier, more fulfilling and less teaming with dread.

No comments: